Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Good and The Bad

The good: When FB and I chatted this past Friday, he'd finally been able to broach to his boss the subject of wanting to come up here for a visit before the wedding.
The bad: His boss is such a busy man that they only got 1/2 way through the conversation.

The good: His boss made it sound like they'd be able to work something out.
The bad: No discussion of dates, as his boss needed to move on to the next thing.

Jump ahead a few days - we chatted again last night (Wednesday)

The good: There were no internet problems, and we were able to use the camera :)
The bad: We only had a little under an hour.

The good: He was able to finish the conversation with his boss.
The bad: His boss said it was difficult to give him any time off until he has worked there for 6 months.

The good: His boss also said that if FB proves himself in the coming weeks, works hard and has good results, he may give him the time off (both for visiting here and for the honeymoon).
The bad: He wouldn't be able to come until December, and we won't know until just before then what his boss has decided.

The good: I stayed remarkably calm and undisturbed by this news.
The bad: FB felt awful about it, repeatedly said how he never thought things would work out this way, and how he'd hate for me to have to come down alone instead of with him.

The good: I was able to encourage him some, and assure him that I know he is a hard worker and man of integrity, that we would pray, and in the end the important thing is we will be married by the end of the year regardless of what happens with this visit.
The bad: Next to no planning can be done in the meantime since we really don't know how things will work out. For example, we wanted to have a reception here when he came to visit, but it is difficult to plan something that may not happen. Also, I won't know exactly when I am moving to Mexico until the last minute.

The good: I really am surprisingly relaxed about this. Corrie ten Boom shares in her book The Hiding Place about something her father explained to her as a child. She was worrying about something that might happen in the future. Her father asked her when he usually gave her her ticket when they went on the train, and she answered, "Just before we get on the train." "That is right," he responded, "And so it is with God's strength....He will supply the strength you need - just in time." Now, my need pales in comparison to the needs Corrie ten Boom had as she lived through being a prisoner of the Nazis. But I can't help but feel that it describes my situation so well - God has met me each step and change of plans along the way. I would not have been able to drum up the peace I've had on my own, out of my own strength. He continues to give me the ability to be flexible and take things as they come.

1 comment:

OTRgirl said...

I'm glad you're experiencing peace in the midst of so much stuff in flux. That's neat to hear.

Of course, now you just get to have that many more "I don't know" conversations with people!